Monday, June 6, 2022
Puzzle Solving With People Living With Advanced Dementia
Alzheimer's disease is progressive and our loved ones will worsen as time goes on. However, they can solve jigsaw puzzles at all stages!
Here are some tips:
1) There are NO rules. You do not have to solve the puzzle! The point is to have fun together.
2) Hand the puzzle piece to the resident.
3) Point to where it belongs.
4) Give the person a chance to put it in, if not, do it for them.
5) TALK - I made conversation about birds, while my puzzle partner listened and sometimes smiled. My volunteer, Sofiya, talked about Monopoly and how she loves to play it.
6) Simple wooden puzzles also bring joy.