Sometimes people with Alzheimer's disease are afraid to take a bath. They think that they will drown, or they do not like to be cold. It could be many different reasons. I know that grandma can give the staff at her nursing home a hard time when they try to bathe her. I came up with a few tips that I would like to share!
- Play soft music (classical music works well for grandma)
- Offer a rubber duck as a distraction. Grandma used to give me a rubber duck to play with in the bath when I was little, it worked for me! (I know Ernie agrees!)
- Give your loved one a washcloth with a pretty pattern.
- Make sure the room is warm.
- Have a big warm comfy bathrobe ready.