Monday, November 7, 2016
Using an iPod Shuffle With Your Loved One
I saw the documentary: Alive Inside.(www.aliveinside.org) It inspired me. The documentary is about Alzheimer's patients who listen to music and feel alive when they hear it. I think it is a great idea! It is helpful to use music that your loved one will understand and remember from the olden days. Most seniors today have special memories of music from the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's. I plan to get some iPod Shuffles and download music from those time periods. I like using headphones because my grandma and many seniors are hard of hearing and listening with a headphone helps to make the music sound louder.
1. Choose music that your loved one would enjoy.
2. As they are listening to the music ask them about it
3. Use good quality earphones, especially if the person is hard of hearing
4. Use an iPod Shuffle. It can download many many songs
5. Most seniors like music from 1920's - 1950's
6 Try to find out the favorite type of music that the loved one enjoys.
(For example: Big Band, Jazz, Swing, classical music)